Top tips for extending the battery life of your laptop
If you are traveling or away from a power source, it becomes necessary to conserve your laptop battery. Even the most expensive batteries just don’t last long enough.
This tutorial will provide you with a list of suggestions to help optimize, extend, and improve the battery life on your Windows 10 laptop or tablet.
How to extend the battery life of your laptop
1. Choose a Power Plan that Saves More Energy
A power plan is a collection of hardware and system settings that manages how your computer uses power. Power plans can help you save energy, maximize system performance, or achieve a balance between the two.Selecting to use the Balanced or Power saver power plan can help extend your PC’s battery life.
- Balanced – Offers full performance when you need it and saves power when you don’t. This is the best power plan for most people.
- Power saver – Saves power by reducing PC performance and screen brightness. If you’re using a laptop, this plan can help you get the most from a single battery charge
2. Use Lower Power Mode Level
The Windows performance power slider enables you to quickly and intelligently trade performance of your system for longer battery life. Setting the power mode level to Battery Saver or Better Battery while running on battery power can help extend your PC’s battery life.
- Battery Saver – Helps conserve power, and prolong battery life, when the system is not connected to a power source. When battery saver is on, some Windows features are disabled, throttled, or behave differently. Screen brightness is also reduced. Battery Saver is only available on DC.
- Better Battery – Delivers longer battery life than the default settings on previous versions of Windows. Available on both AC and DC. In some cases, users will see this mode labeled Recommended, rather than Better Battery, in their slider UI.
3. Reduce Screen Brightness Percentage Level
4. Turn On and Adjust Battery Saver
Battery saver extends battery life by limiting background activity and push notifications when your device is low on battery. When battery saver is on, your PC temporarily turns off some things that use a lot of power, like automatic email and calendar syncing, live tile updates, and apps you’re not actively using.You can check the Turn battery saver on automatically if my battery falls below box, and adjust the slider to the battery percentage level you want to have battery saver automatically turn on whenever the battery falls below this level.
To turn on battery saver now and leave it on until the next time you plug in your PC, turn on Battery saver status until next charge.
You can also check the Lower screen brightness while in battery saver box to automatically lower screen brightness while battery saver is on.
5. Run the Power Troubleshooter
6. Reduce Time to Turn Off Display when on Battery Power
7. Reduce Time for when PC Sleeps when on Battery Power
8. Manage Battery Usage by App
9. Turn Off Location Service
10. Unplug Your Unused Devices
11. Disable Indexing when on Battery Power
12. Use Longer Interval to Sync Email
Bestprogramminglaptop.com is a good resource to know more about Laptop battery caring tips.